Sunday, April 27, 2008

EAGLES - Draft Day 2 (comments & complaints)

Posted by Alli

The 3rd round is underway, although it somehow seems less prestigious now that it's been lumped with 4 thru 7 on day 2. Nevertheless, the Birds have about 120 picks in these 5 rounds so it's important that they make some good decisions and fill in their various gaps. And some of us (i.e. me) might still be secretly hoping that we decide to throw a chunk of those picks into a package with, say, an injury-prone CB that we can't seem to unload on another team, and magically trade for an elite WR. Hey, it could happen. Surely the Bengals will come to their senses eventually, considering Ocho Cinco's inspiring dedication to whining incessantly.

Anyway, since the Eagles seem to have given up on acquiring an OT anytime soon, I'm looking for a defensive back... preferably a safety but the pickins are slim there (sure, we could have picked S Tyrell Johnson in the 2nd round, but the Birds seem to have a recent propensity for trading down when
exactly what they need is left on the board... seems like a wise strategy.) I was thinking maybe a CB, but in the spirit of never choosing what I was actually hoping for, the Eagles took DE Bryan Smith from McNeese State. Fair enough though, we could always use another DE, especially after finally getting rid of the decreasingly productive Kearse. I don't have the slightest clue where in the world McNeese State is, or if it's an actual college or just an online degree program, but I'll trust the Eagles' judgment here for the time being. Sure, they drafted DE Victor Abiamiri in the 2nd round last year and I've yet to see any sign of life there, but they also drafted Trent Cole so I'll call it even for now.

I'll update/complain more in the 4th.

Update: 12:23 p.m.

I guess I should have been more specific when I asked for an OT from Pittsburgh. But on the plus side, we did finally get a much-needed tackle, right after I decided the Eagles weren't going to draft one this year. Shows how much I know. Anyway, I'm going to hope that Pitt had a monster o-line last year and that Mike McGlynn is somewhere in the remote vicinity of Jeff Otah-level talent. At this point, anyone better than Justice is OK in my book.

Update: 1:02 p.m.

And there's our safety, UTEP's Quintin Demps. I don't know a whole lot about Demps, but I do know that we needed a safety so we'll see how he pans out.

On an unrelated note, Chris has been unbearably homerish this afternoon in his glorification of Eli Manning. I'm sure I'm not alone here in my ongoing agony over the fact that I had to witness Eli Manning winning a Super Bowl, something I didn't think I'd ever have to see in my lifetime. Surely god hates me, because this remains the only feasible explanation. Even 3 months later, every time I make a jab about Eli, Chris can always throw his being Super Bowl MVP back in my face. It doesn't matter that Eli only performed well about 25% of the time last year, or that he'll probably suck the rest of his career- he still has the same number of Super Bowl victories as Peyton. Do you ever get the feeling that Peyton is secretly really pissed about the Giants' win?

OK another Eagles pick coming up, I'll update shortly.

No comments: